The Holiday Season is in full effect and with that comes parties, dinners and events. It leaves us searching into our recipe databases for something tasty (but healthy).. you know, that special dish that will keep people coming back for seconds (because let's just admit it now, we want to be know as the person who brought the most amazing dish.. am i right?)
If you are anything like me, you are often left with the lingering question... "What should I bring?". I find myself perusing Pinterest for ideas or and inspiration so I wanted to save you the time and energy. I'm sharing one of my newer dishes.. a spin on a traditional dish, but it's packed with additional greens and not so much fat (and we can all be grateful for that).
BRUSSELS AU GRATIN
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced
- 6 small Gold Yellow Potatoes
- 1/2 medium gold sweet onion
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp ghee (or grass-fed butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (whichever you prefer - i used Trader Joe's 3-kind shredded cheese)
- Handful of Panco Bread Crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take brussels sprouts and slice them into sliced pieces. Discard the ends (where the brussels grow).
- Slice potatoes into thin slices.
- In a medium-large saucepan, sweat onions & garlic until they become translucent. Add 2 tbsp ghee & 2 tbsp flour. Once combined (it'll start to look like a paste) add coconut milk. Stir until combined and let sit over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg. Whisk in cheese until melted, then turn off heat.
- In a 9x9" dish, layer 1/2 of the potatoes, followed by 1/2 of the sauce. Top with 1/2 brussels sprouts and then, potatoes, sauce and brussels sprouts. Top with Panco crumbs and last tablespoon of ghee (melted). Sprinkle with cheese (optional).
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Then, remove foil and cook another 10 minutes until top is brown and toasty.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lindsay Vacek has a passion for style, details and design. As a Fashion Editorial Photographer, she's worked in the Entertainment Industry for over 10 years and has a love for adventure and travel. She spends her spare time globe-trotting her way through foreign countries and loves new cultures, food, music and the arts.
Being a California Native, Lindsay loves meeting new people and sharing her version of life with others. With an infinite list of things-to-do, places-to-go and sights-to-see - she believe everyone can have a little more California in their own lives.