California is well-known for it’s Mexican culture and incredible food.. With Mexico neighboring our lower border, dishes like slow-roasted carnitas tacos and deliciously marinated carne asada burritos become weekly meals. Paired with some yummy rice and refried beans, salt-rimmed margaritas and handfuls of chips, it’s no surprise when I say these meals can leave you feeling a little glutonous. I can’t tell you how many times I have woken up in the morning with the aftermath of having too many margaritas and chips. But is it worth it? Absolutely!
While many times I think it’s worth it to splurge on a Mexican restaurant, I have spent a lot of my time perfecting healthy Mexican dishes so I can still enjoy all my favorite flavors and not feel guilty about it so believe you me, this will not be my only Mexican dish to share with you all. However, this easy Ground Turkey Taco recipe is super simple and easy to make if you are short on time and need your Mexican fix.
Turkey Soft Tacos
Serve in Lettuce cups, corn or flour tortillas
- 1lb Lean Ground Taco Meat
- 3-4 Sweet Red and Yellow Peppers, sliced and seeds removed
- ¼ of a medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked red paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- Pico di Gallo
- Avocado (cubed)
- Cotija Skim Cheese (or Queso Fresco)
- Shredded Lettuce (optional)
- In a sauté pan, add sweet peppers, onions and half the chicken stock. Saute until peppers and onions are cooked and begin to soften.
- Add in Turkey Meat and brown until all pink meat is cooked. (about 5 minutes) – make sure to move your meat around and flip it to get all meat cooked.
- Add in the remaining chicken broth and all the spices. Mix together and cook until broth cooks down (about 5 minutes)
- If using tortillas, warm them to make them more pliable when you eat them (otherwise, they tend to snap in half when they are cold)
- To assemble: take your tortilla (or lettuce cup) and ladle the meat into it. Add desired toppings and eat!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lindsay Vacek has a passion for style, details and design. As a Fashion Editorial Photographer, she's worked in the Entertainment Industry for over 10 years and has a love for adventure and travel. She spends her spare time globe-trotting her way through foreign countries and loves new cultures, food, music and the arts.
Being a California Native, Lindsay loves meeting new people and sharing her version of life with others. With an infinite list of things-to-do, places-to-go and sights-to-see - she believe everyone can have a little more California in their own lives.